Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Earth Girls Are Easy (1988)


So I've taken a brief hiatus, but I'm back baby. I've actually still continued to watch a new movie everyday since my last post, unfortunately two of them I fell asleep during and one of them was a chore to watch and writing a discussion on it felt like a chore as well. I still might try to post it later, but for now I'm moving on to a different movie. Earth Girls Are Easy is that movie. While I was listening to a podcast, they briefly discussed this movie and it seemed like a good movie to watch next for the blog. 

Earth Girls Are Easy is about three furry aliens (Jeff Goldblum, Jim Carrey, and Damon Wayans) whose spacecraft lands/plops in Geena Davis' swimming pool. They are now stuck on Earth until they can fix their ship. Davis helps the aliens blend in while they are on Earth and eventually finds Mr. Right along the way. 

One of my favorite parts of the movie is when Davis is explaining to co-worker at the salon, that she has aliens with her and she needs her help to disguise them. While she is explaining this an old lady passes by and says, "What did you Say?" Davis responds, "Oh, nothing. I'm on drugs." 

Michael Mckean's character was definitely something I've never seen from him before. He played a surfer/stoner type, who despite all he's seen he still believes the aliens are from Finland. In fact as they are flying away in there spaceship he yells, "Give my love to Finland." Another great line happens when Davis was consulting him on what to do about the alien situation in her pool, he said, "Waste you brain, wax your board, and pray for waves." 

Apparently the plot of this movie is based off of a song. This isn't a huge surprise as the plot isn't the most compelling thing about this movie. The jokes are really where this movie shines. Also the cast is really amazing. It's always really cool to see a cast like this all young and fresh-faced, before they were the big names they are today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment